Saturday, June 03, 2006

He's Kidding, Right?

From KERO23 in Bakersfield, CA, this is a good example of what's wrong with the prison system these days...

BAKERSFIELD -- An 85-year-old preacher is speaking out after being attacked
in a home invasion robbery.
The same day Jairo Gutierrez was released from prison in Corcoran after serving five years for car jacking, he was arrested on three felony charges after police said he attacked an elderly preacher.
James Jones said he was shocked to see a man standing in his kitchen Monday
night.
"I said, 'you know you're trespassing' and when I said call the cops he went crazy and grabbed a paring knife and went to work on me," said Jones.
Jones is a preacher who has been working in ministry for 50 years.
Gutierrez said he was just walking through his house hoping no one lived there.
"I just wanted to see check out the house because I want to buy some house out here," said Gutierrez.
"If that man hadn't been strung out on drugs, he'd probably gut me with that knife instead of working on my head and I wouldn't be here," said Jones.
Jones said Gutierrez came at him with a knife and stabbed him several times. The point of the blade was actually lodged in his head.
Jones' elderly wife ran after Gutierrez with a portable radio, and he ran when she came after him.
"His wife came at me and tried to pull my hair," said Gutierrez. "I just tried to ignore her."
Gutierrez said he's tired of jail and when he gets out the next time, he said he won't commit any crimes.

I'm not sure which is worse. The fact that the system clearly failed to rehabilitate Guiterrez the first time is pretty bad, but I think that the fact that he has a reasonable expectation that he'll get out is even worse. Clearly, this was his second offense, but if the second has escalated to attempted murder of a a man of God, I'm not sure I want to see what else he'll come up with for his third.

1 comment:

Medical Blog said...

Gutierrez said he was just walking through
his house hoping no one lived there.