Friday, December 08, 2006

Did you know

That I spent a grand total of $1,200 on a gym and Weight Watchers this past year to lose a net total of a little under six pounds? If you think about it, that's $200 a pound.

If anyone else is thinking that's completely unacceptable, I'm right there with you.

Thinking back, there was really no reason for me not to lose more weight/tone up/drop the cholesterol. I wasn't on any medication, I didn't have food forced down my throat, and I had plenty of time to go to the gym.

Frankly, it all came down to motivation, or lack thereof.

I've made grandiose declarations before...I'm not going to do this or that until...and they never work. Invariably, I start revolting against my own way of thinking or get distracted by margaritas and write the entire week off.

It's not pretty.

I'm turning 29 for the first time in 2007, so it's more important that ever to get my body and finances in order before the big 3-0 hits. I've got big ideas (no firm plans yet) for my thirtieth, but I want to be in a place where I can actually, truly, and really, enjoy it.

Five years ago, I dropped 30# on WW with no problem. I was motivated by love, sex, and the excitement of the new program. I think if I can find that place again, I'll be able to do this over the next year (starting today). I'm not saying that I have to meet all my goals in 2007 (completing a marathon will probably take longer than 10 months), but I do have to make significant progress towards them and, above all, I have to make the $1,200 I'm spending actually worth spending. Another year of not making it worth it, and I'm going to have to make some significant changes in that department as well.

Oh the irony, giving up the things that will help you most of all because you can't "afford them" thanks to your lack of motivation in the first place. Hrmm, I believe that's the sign of a defeatest attitude, and I'm not sure that I like that.

So, I know we've covered this before, but I'm looking for help. I know that you guys probably are looking at me and saying, "What is she talking about, she's perfect." Well, I am in most areas(right. ego-check. moving on), but I'm telling you right now that I'm not sure that I'm as healthy as I can be. That's what I'm looking for most of all -- the opportunity to enter my next decade being more fit and healthy than I began my last.

I'm looking at the triggers that inspire me to veer off the path, and I'm realizing that a lot of it has to do with me not wanting to cook because it's "easier" to join everyone for Happy Hour, etc. I'm not entirely cutting out dinners out, but please understand that there will probably be a severe reduction in the number of them over the next year. Frankly, I'd rather attempt new recipes for my favorite "test subjects" (that would be you all) that are "low in points and high in adventure." I'm not saying that they'll all be Julia-Child worthy at first, but I promise to give it the "old college try" and never subject you to anything that's truly awful twice.

I'm also looking for recipes, and if you want me to try something that's not completely off the wall (we're talking Fear Factor here, not creamed spinach -- which I don't like, but I'll eat if it's in something that sounds good) or involves me purchasing $300 truffles, please send it on over!!

2007, the year that I become a gourmet or kill everyone trying. Just kidding! Seriously, this could be fun!!

No comments: