Friday, August 18, 2006

The grass is always greener...

Always greener...on the other side of the fence.

When I took this photo at Mt. Vernon last April, I didn't really think about the metaphor I was capturing at the time. I just thought it was adorable how this sheep -- who had a variety of grass available to him on his side of the fence -- was willing to stick his head through the fence to get to the blades that looked most succulent, juicy, and, well, downright tasty.

Having eaten grass (I was a weird kid, what can I say?), I probably woudn't have made the same choice. Then again, my grass eating days are long-over, and I don't think grass was all that tasty to begin with. If it had been the difference between a chocolate sundae and spinach, you guys know how I would have gone.

But the sheep does bring up a good point -- as good as any that a sheep can, I suppose. All my life, I've been looking for "more." More money, a different career, a new city to live in. That's why I've been working so much overtime at my current job and writing a novel when I get home. Like the sheep, I've got my feet firmly planted on the ground in my current situation, but, inch by inch, pieces of me are heading in a new direction. It'll take some risks and some time, but I have confidence that every part of me -- from tip to tail -- will someday be on the other side of that fence. I'm just terrified that as soon as that happens, I'll want to get back...

No comments: