Monday, August 14, 2006

Is it possible...

To accidentally stalk an individual?

No, I'm not talking about the eye-batting
oh-I-thought-I-was-meeting-my-friend-here excuse that you use when Jon
Cusack has once-again found you on his property and you're looking at 5
to 10 in a cell with a gal named Bertha. I'm talking about finding
yourself, over and over, turning up in the same location as someone you
just met. Trust me, it makes for some awkward hilarity.

This actually happened a few years ago, but since he's back in the
spotlight, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering if it's
going to happen again. His name is Oz Bengur, he's running for
Congress, and I'm pretty sure he won't approve this message.

It all started in the fall of 2002. I was working on a campaign in
Baltimore, and, as a result I was going to a lot of political events.
One Monday night, I met Oz at a party for the campaign I was working
for. Nice guy, but I was really at the event to scope boys and the the
mayor's little brother was hot and single. This girl was on a mission.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the gods always enjoy a good
joke at my expense. They wanted to make sure that I'd never, EVER,
forget Oz. It all started two days later (Wednesday) when, driving home
from work, I went to a grocery store that I normally don't go to. Oz
was drumming up support in the parking lot. Thursday, I was meeting a
friend at the mall (again, a route I don't normally take). I pulled up
at a red light, looked to my right, and he was in the car next to me.

By Friday, I was getting a little paranoid. Really, I didn't want the
guy to think I was the next Squeaky Frome or, worse, Monica Lewinsky and
me turning up everywhere was doing nothing to help my case that I
wasn't. Deciding that the safest place in Baltimore during campaign
season was a movie theater, I went to see Sweet Home Alabama (FYI:
Patrick Dempsey is definitely stalkworthy). Driving home from the
movie, I was "starving." Pulled into the Stil, and grabbed the only
available seat in the place. As soon as the hottie standing next to me
was collected by his girlfriend, I realized that THAT was clearly a bad
idea. There, in the seat right next to me, was the man I had been
"accidentally stalking" all week. He gave me a weird look, and I think
he was about to say something, but my food arrived and I beat a hasty
retreat.

He lost the election, and life went on. Now, he's running again (but I
don't think in the same district), and I'm seeing him all over the TV.

It's only a matter of time until our paths cross.

Let the non-stalking begin....

No comments: