Wednesday, August 16, 2006

With OUR Marriage

This was on Craigslist earlier today...

As it really was not mine or yours, it was OUR marriage. Only you did not want to take responsibility for your end of the deal. It was all up to me. And after 15 years, I had had enough. And all of your worst fears came to life. That I would trade you in on someone younger and more vibrant. And I did. And she is awesome. But only after trying for so hard and so long to convince you that YOU were still young and vibrant. But you never trusted me. Why? I don't really know. I did my best, day in and day out, to be there for you. To forgive YOU for YOUR past. I never ever mentioned those things. My fear now is that the 'others' in this situation will soon lose your trust, because you can't come to grips with happened to you all those years ago, that did not involve any of us. You let go of the wheel long ago, and even now, when we are not a couple, I am still trying to clean up the mess. Funny thing is, I am the one who lost trust in you, as well. You stopped telling me things. Stopped letting me help you. Stopped letting me love you. You could never just hold my hand. Never just take my hand as if to say, "it's just you and me, and we can do it!". Never. It was always me. But you never believed me. And so I stopped believing you. And then it all went to shit. After I realized I was a fool. Such a fool. And then my friend died, and I realized that life is just too damn short to waste. That the best thing to do was to take my chance at happiness. I had given you everything. And now, in this public forumn, for all to see and none to see, I am letting go of you. Fifteen years. Not wasted, but I wonder how long it will take for you to pull it together and admit it. If you ever can. Yes, she is younger. She is only that. No more, no less beautiful than you. Just younger. But smarter. WE talk. WE hold hands. WE trust. WE make mistakes. WE forgive. WE move on. I believe in her. She believes in me. WE are doing it. WE are happy. I hope you can be too.

This is really sad to me. I don't know the people involved or the what happened, but I'm strangely and sadly intrigued. Here is a person who loved deeply, and realized that his girl, maybe his wife, just didn't (or couldn't). The fact that he chose to do it in public seems, at first, to be a little cruel. However, if you read carefully, you'll notice that he doesn't give out any identifying details. This could be any husband in DC and any wife. As a result, it is no more than a vent expressed in the anonymous world of the Internet. That shows that not only did he love his former wife, he continues to respect her. That's class.

Friend, if you see this and recognize your post, best of luck in your new relationship. Though you've already, clearly, changed each others' worlds, you've also changed mine. Thanks.

No comments: