Thursday, October 26, 2006

He...

May not get a third date as last night was a little less comfortable. He makes me laugh, and that's a good thing; but he also thinks I'm a little bit crazy thanks to my interest in the supernatural. I won't stop being interested in that particular subject, and he only got a three-year window into the entire history, but I could see the wheels turning.

There also seems to be a language barrier that I hadn't encountered before. The difference between "cuter" and "better" seemed to totally escape him. He thought my friends were talking about how they had "BETTER" undies, and I told him that they said "CUTER." I attempted to explain that BETTER implied that granny-panties and laundry-panties were in the regular rotation while CUTER was just a visual thing (hearts, flowers, polka-dots). He wasn't convinced.

We talked politics (a news story came on about NJ and gay marriage), and this is where I started to realize that the language barrier was a deeper issue than just polka-dots and granny-panties. Though he claims to be a Democrat, he kept insisting that gays should have the same rights as a married couple, but we should call the marriage something else. You know, to distinguish it from a "real marriage." I told him that the entire issue was based upon the fact that all the people who were suing in NJ wanted was a "real marriage," and for it to be recognized as such. Another "separate but equal" status was a little reminiscent of the 60s and the bigotry that existed in this country at that time.

Who said I couldn't formulate a good argument about issues that are really important?

I'm not 100% sure that he's not going to get a third. I'm not 100% sure that he is, either. We'll see.

No comments: