Monday, April 17, 2006

More fun with Government officials

So, I owe the state more money. It's a significant amount, but I can't
seem to get my 502X form to agree with my calculations. It's
frustrating, but rather than fool around with this anymore, I cut a
check for the amount that I think that I owe and I'm sending it with
this letter to Comptroller Schaefer's office. I'm hoping that tax guys
have a sense of humor too and that I'll get some effort for attempting
to right the situation.

It's not as good as the Grinch, but I still think it's fun.

Dear Comptroller Schaefer:

2005 was a banner year for me. I quit a job after 5 years, started a
new one, cashed in my IRA, and purchased my first home in the state of
Maryland. I like Maryland quite a bit, and after five years of living
here, I consider myself home. I'm particularly partial to Baltimore, so
I made Medfield home. It's a cute house, and I'd like to keep it.

I've also been putting money away in a fund for a hot tub to accompany
my Medfield home. Thank goodness I did because I seemed to have made a
huge mistake when I initially filed my taxes. Remember how I said I
cashed in my IRA? Well, I kind of forgot all about that. Two days
after I filed, I was shockingly reminded of it in the form of a 1099-R
form!

After the heart attack wore off, I sat down at the computer and started
crunching numbers, I can't seem to get my 502x form to agree, but I know
that I owe you more money. I've cleared and reentered the form over and
over again, but Turbo Tax keeps insisting that you're supposed to give
me a refund of $7. While I would definitely appreciate the donation of
a 12-pack of McHenry Beer (a fine Maryland brew!) at my eventual hot tub
inaugural party, I know that I look much better in a bathing suit than
the bright orange jumpsuit that would come from any attempt to rip off
this fine state. I also know that while I wouldn't really care if a
child could only learn half of the Periodic Table thanks to my not
providing funds for his education in 2005 (sorry, but I'm always honest
with the government), I probably would care very much in 2020 when this
same child is my pool guy and he puts the wrong chemicals in the hot
tub. Chemical burns, after all, are no fun for anyone!

Therefore, Sir, while the paperwork says otherwise, I am including a
check for $X - the amount that I believe that I owe the state for 2005
taxes. My calculations are consistent in that amount - even if Turbo
Tax is a little shaky on it. If your office determines that I owe
additional funds, I would be very happy to pay. You wouldn't even need
to send the scary men in the black suits out to find me and take away my
cute home in Medfield! A letter would more than suffice.

If, however, you find that Turbo Tax was right all along and I was just
being paranoid of the government, my neighbors and I would really
appreciate getting those funds back since a hot tub would really benefit
all of us.
I appreciate you and your office being so understanding.

Sincerely,
Lindsay

1 comment:

My Blog said...

Remember how I said I
cashed in my IRA? Well, I kind of forgot all about that.