Friday, September 08, 2006

Well, that was a mistake

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence. Unfortunately, that seems to have been the case when I hastily made the move from Blogger to Wordpress a few weeks ago. I wanted to use the categories features that Wordpress provided, but what I didn’t realize is how much I’d be giving up to make the switch.

Don’t get me wrong, both Blogger and Wordpress each have their own sets of pros and cons associated. The Wordpress server is much more reliable than the Blogger one, and the categories feature is nice. However, Blogger is far easier to use on a day to day basis. My posts have significantly dropped since using Wordpress because I couldn’t whip off a funny email to my friends or a random thought during the day and have that automatically post to Wordpress. No, I would have to log in, fight with the “non-secure items” and then type in the little box, hoping that I would get everything right the first time because any changes would be reposted with a new timestamp. I would come up with something at the office, but by the time I actually sat down to log into Wordpress, it would be completely gone. The spontenaity was lost and that meant that the number of posts was lost. Pictures involved its own special nightmare because while Blogger allowed photos to be uploaded from the hard drive, Wordpress requires that they be stored online in another location before they can be used. Since I don’t have access to my Flickr account during the day, that became a hassle.

Finally, the customization factor…Blogger allows it for free, Wordpress you have to pay for. I spent a looooooong time getting my blog to look just the way I wanted it to in blogger, and the “templates” provided for free by Wordpress just aren’t that attractive.

So what does this mean? Quite simply, I’m moving again. I’ll be moving the few posts that I wrote on Wordpress over, but starting today, I’ll be once again posting to http://drama-duchess.blogspot.com/. (don’t forget the dash!). I can’t promise that it’s the last move, but since I’m going “home,” I can assure you that it’ll be the last move for awhile.


No comments: